Monday, August 23, 2010

Literature for Moms

My baby girl is turning 8 weeks today, and it seems like it was yesterday that I was arriving at the hospital for my c-section.  As I mentioned in a previous post, time flies by, so we have to enjoy every minute that we have, whether it be our time being pregnant or our time as mothers. 


Thinking back, I can remember when my first daughter, who is now over two and a half years old, was turning eight weeks.  We were in the process of moving to another state, and it was very difficult to deal with a move, a new born and leaving behind family and friends.  It turned out to be a great experience, and it taught me a lot about how to deal with motherhood without family or many friends close by. We were lucky to meet many wonderful people there as time went by, who turned out to be friends, and who became our family there.    


But before I wander off, the topic I really wanted to share with mothers and mother-to-be today is "literature".  Women tend to go crazy and search for books and internet sites that may help them out through pregnancy, with answers to their questions, tips on what to do and expect, and places where they can post their own questions.  Like these women, I went out and searched for both books and sites on the internet.  The BEST "literature" pertaining to pregnancy that I found is the following site:  http://www.babycenter.com
Here, you will find information about getting pregnant, weekly updates on pregnancy, and weekly updates on your child/ren after they are born.  It is a free site, and you log on simply by choosing a name, password, and putting in your baby's due date.  You can specify the baby's sex if you'd like, and later on, change the due date to the actual date that your child was/will be born on.  I received weekly updates on both of my pregnancies from this site, and I still receive weekly updates on my now "preschooler" and on my "8 week old".  Amazingly, this was the only information, regardless of what and how many books I read, that seemed to match what I was feeling at a specific moment, answered my fears and questions regarding certain moments of my pregnancy, and allowed me to understand that each pregnancy is different. You can join various groups that are on the site, as well as post questions.  I highly recommend this site!
  
I did read and enjoyed "What to Expect When You're Expecting" and I tend to turn to "Baby 411" when I have questions regarding an illness such as a rash, fever, or symptom of any kind with my children.  


If any of you out there have other books or sites that you really like and that you feel have been helpful during your pregnancy or after, please feel free to share! 

No comments:

Post a Comment